Plans for Our Future Home
Center of Hope is currently renovating a 28,200 sq. ft. building that sits on 5.5-acres of land. The board’s goal is to fund this capital project through philanthropy without utilizing financing or loans to complete this project. This renovation will:
- Improve efficiency by consolidating five locations into one centralized center
- Saves $125,000 in yearly rent expenses
- Allows for better utilization of volunteers, employees, facilities and assets
- Provide additional educational opportunities for children, youth and adults:
- Additional classes, classrooms and tutoring offices
- Additional space for work training programs
- Impact more individuals through a larger pantry, kitchen/dining room and participant service area
Fall 2014: Purchased land and facility
Fall 2016: Engineering study, architect fees & demolition expenses, etc.
Spring 2018: New roof and refacing of the building’s exterior
The goals of this project are to increase the effectiveness of our current programs and identify and develop new programs which will directly impact the lives of individuals living in crisis/poverty:
- Crisis Assistance Area: Larger advising area with more private meeting rooms; Larger pantry area allows for a “true shopping experience” for our 1,700 participants with over 6,000 shopping visits each year; Larger kitchen area for our 2,000 volunteers who serve each year; Upgrade residential appliances to commercial grade; Enlarged dining room will seat more participants and help serve over 13,000 meals.
- Family Empowerment: Currently, our Family Empowerment program is held in one room that is primarily used for storage. Additional space will allow us to expand opportunities by providing: children and youth teaching rooms (Study Club and AIM Youth Mentoring Program – a partnership with the Juvenile Probation System); a room for our women’s mentoring group (Refresh Women); private meeting areas for marriage and family counselors; a safe and secure child supervision/visitation area; a learning center for parents; and a library for kids and their families.
- Job Training Programs: A larger, upgraded space will allow for improvement and expansion of our job training programs: The Hope Chest Internship, Careers Now – Construction Industry and future programs such as Careers Now – Food Service Industry.
- Education and Career Development Program: Enlarge classrooms to allow 170 student encounters each month to function more effectively as well as offer privacy; Provide additional classrooms to allow for program growth and new learning opportunities; Dedicated computer lab filled with technology to provide over 4,800 classroom hours to students; Increase the number of private meeting rooms for life coaches which provide over 500 appointment hours each year; Additional rooms for one-on-one tutoring.
For more information on this project, please contact Staci Markwardt at staci@centerofhopetxcom.